Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A Blessed Christ-mass To All Readers

My favourite song for Christmas time has always been Grown Up Christmas List ever since I heard Amy Grant sang it years ago. She was the original singer even though you could find many artistes covering it now (Michael Buble, Kelly Clarkson and Natalie Cole, to name a few). The song was composed by David Foster and Linda Thompson Jenner. At a time when we are busy buying and receiving presents, or maybe take it as an opportunity to drink too much, we get lost in all the merriment. Its the birthday of Jesus, does anybody know what he wants for his birthday?

Too often the church and fellow Christians fail to share the message of Christmas, we get all caught up in the theology. While we trumpet the need to be "saved", the underlying message is to bring mankind together and lookout for each other. We try to hate the sin but love the sinner ... but at times I wonder "where is the love"? When we judge others' lifestyles, sexual preferences, ... how we treat our fellow human beings though their occupation may be maids, labourers or beggers ... where is the love that you say you possess??? .... when we burn buildings, trigger off bombs in the name religion ... where is the love that you say you possess??? I think God when he appears, might say to all: "That's NOT what I meant!!!"

In the end, its human frailty that needs attention. I loved Amy Grant's version but the recent one by Charice (though I regard her singing as a bit precocious at times) was very good as well.




Do you remember me
I sat upon your knee
I wrote to you
With childhood fantasies

Well, I'm all grown up now
And still need help somehow
I'm not a child
But my heart still can dream

So here's my lifelong wish
My grown up christmas list
Not for myself
But for a world in need

No more lives torn apart
That wars would never start
and wars would never start
And time would heal all hearts
And everyone would have a friend
And right would always win
And love would never end
This is my grown up christmas list

As children we believed
The grandest sight to see
Was something lovely
Wrapped beneath our tree

Well heaven only knows
That packages and bows
Can never heal
A hurting human soul

What is this illusion called the innocence of youth
Maybe only in our blind belief can we ever find the truth

p/s some of you may say, its not just Christianity that wants all that ... so true, so true ... maybe its time for you to find out where's the difference.



Well, as they say, its easy to love the world, but its hard to deal with my cantankerous neighbour ... supporting big issues/causes is easy, loving someone or dealing with a difficult friend is hard. First of all, don't be "that difficult friend".

Anyway, I digress. No better time to get to write this, before my readers all fall off their chairs, ... my all time fav Christian album. Hymns used to drown me to sleep when I attended church as a kid every now and then with my aunt. Even in a progressive church setting, singing hymns was not a welcomed thing. When I got hold of this album some 20 years ago, it was so inspiring and fun to listen. Sandi's voice was exceptional, the arrangement was brilliant, the pacing was improved for many songs. In my mind hymns are exceptional pieces of music because they are theologically correct. The ones in her album are all gems. Get it if you can, its unbelievably good.

Hymns Just For You CD


Sandi Patty Hymns Just For You Album Track Listing



1.It Is Well With My Soul
2.Fairest Lord Jesus/I'd Rather Have Jesus: Fairest Lord Jesus / I'd Rather Have Jesus
3.How Great Thou Art
4.In the Garden/Just a Closer Walk With Thee/What a Friend We Have in J: In The Garden / Just A Closer Walk With Thee / What A Friend We Have In Jesus
5.Old Rugged Cross, The
6.Lord's Prayer, The
7.Amazing Grace
8.To God Be the Glory/Holy, Holy, Holy/Blessed Assurance/Great Is Thy: To God Be The Glory / Holy, Holy, Holy / Blessed Assurance / Great Is Thy Faithfulness
9.Might Fortress Is Our God/Rock of Ages/Victory in Jesus/Because He Li: A Mighty Fortress / Rock Of Ages / Victory In Jesus / Because He Lives
10.Sweet Hour of Prayer/I Need Thee Every Hour/Just as I Am/Turn Your Ey: Sweet Hour Of Prayer / I Need Thee Every Hour / Just As I Am / Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

10 comments:

David K said...

A Blessed Christmas to you, Dali! Anyway, Sandi Patti's albums are just fantastic. Her later album 'Artist of my soul' is also worth a listen. I've always mesmerized and inspired by it.

solomon said...

Amazing grace. Thou shall receive a gift from Him. Good courage to share on His words.

Only when we are blind, we will see the truth. Only we had a dream, it keeps us going. Friends no need to have many, but a few good one for their ears.

There is a small gift from Him, did u receive it?

jeeralang said...

Have a merry Christmas, Dali. Thanks for all your blog posts this year; I wish you a great 2011.

Ivan said...

Dear Dali,

Merry Xmas!

May the grace of Our Mighty Father be with you all during this eve of Christmas.

Have a blessed Christmas and a happy New Year. God Loves You.

twc said...

"A Blessed Christ-mass To ALL Readers"
A Merry and Blessed Christmas to you, Dali. Your article is beautifully written.I enjoy reading it.
So are so many share-related articles written earlier; you must have been spending hours to do your research!Can we really thank you adequately?

Roy said...

somehow this post is so meaningful. Almost got teary eyes this morning. Have been listening to the song all morning now. Thanks Dali. Have a great holidays and Merry Christmas.

Buyer said...

S.Dali,

Merry Christmas and have a Prosperous Year of Rabbit!!

Best wishes,
Buyer

value investing in malaysia said...

have a blessed christmas n prosperous new year!

Early Christmas huhh!

YC said...

Hi Dali, i just sent an email to the email address stated at this blog. It is about us, a bunch of local university students, seeking advices. Would you plz check it out? Thank you.

thegame said...

Its the birthday of Jesus, does anybody know what he wants for his birthday?..yes i do.Its in the name

J... just
E... end
S... selfishness
U... until
S... salvation
The Lord will then take over.
lets at least start with our loved and closed ones and be selfless and give Jesus the best birthday present.merry christmas to you and all your readers.Jesus,i love you always do.