Saturday, October 11, 2014

Great Find - Double Claypot Curry Fish Head (SS2)

I go to SS2 quite a bit so whenever there are new shops I would notice. I think this eatery just opened less than a week or two ago. Basic, clean spartan design with a visible open kitchen, which makes sense nowadays as we diners like to see how hygienic the food preparation process is.





 
 
 Gave it a try, and the verdict is very very good. They are so confident that they only have two main dishes, the fish head curry (Chinese style) and the ribs pot. Main thing here is the curry fish head, certainly one of the best ever (Chinese style). They have servings for 1, 2, 4, 6 pax .... so no worries there. Everything that needed to be in that claypot were there like old friends for mahjong... ladies fingers, eggplant, cabbage, taufoopok, fuchuk, long beans and long beans... and the fish head of course (as the heads are not cheap, there will never be enough fish head parts in the curry to satisfy us ... but I think the veggies go very well with the lemak curry anyways).

I think I tasted tomatoes too, it was a good move as the sourishness balances out the lemak. Its hard to call it the best ... its more like you go to a friend's house whose mum can cook very well, and she serves the most complete and sincere fish head curry (no shortcuts) ... thats the best home cooked feeling I got.  9.5/10



 Its on the same row as Watson's, Bee Chiang Hiang, Jojo's Kitchen and the pet shop. But, close on Mondays I think.

The braised ribs is actually soft bones, which I really liked. Its pretty good ... 8/10 ... just needed to add fatiu and partkok.... then would be a 9/10.


Remember to order the side of fuchuk, freshly fried and crispy... to dunk into the curry.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

You had to post this close to midnight, didn't you? Now I'm craving and hungry....

bruno said...

Fish head curry and beef noodles are my favorites.I also missed the fried spring rolls from Penang's Lok tai Kee,located at the corner of Burmah Road and Penang Road.

The beef with it's tasty soup can be had with white rice or noodles and is the best.I have tried many others and even Vietnamese beef noodles,but nothing can beat this family run store.This particular store used to be located next to the hawkers centre across from the Penang ferry terminal.Anyone here know where this store is relocated?