Monday, March 15, 2010

Notable Music Events At NBT

Another couple of great events at No Black Tie...

Signal To Noise

March 15, 2010 9:30 PM - March 15, 2010 11:00 PM
March 16, 2010 9:30 PM - March 16, 2010 11:00 PM


Cover charge RM 35

post thumbnail

Signal to Noise is composed of four very unique and accomplished improvisers — hailing from The U.S., Japan and France. The band about exploring methods and strategies of improvisation, whose music is grounded in jazz improvisation, blending concepts and principles from both Western and Eastern contemporary classical music. A significant element of Signal to Noise’s philosophy is best summarized by Mr. Anthony Braxton from a 1993 interview: “I want, that which happens when music happens, to happen. It’s not about me being the total energy that completes the process of the “ising” of the music.”

Signal To Noise is playing at 9.30 pm on March 15 and March 16. For reservations, please call 03-2142-3737 after 5 pm.


MARGIE SEGERS & MICHAEL VEERAPEN TRIO

March 17, 2010 9:30 PM - March 17, 2010 11:30 PM
March 19, 2010 9:30 PM - March 19, 2010 11:30 PM
March 20, 2010 9:30 PM - March 20, 2010 11:30 PM
Cover charge RM 30

post thumbnail post thumbnail

MARGIE SEGERS has come a long way from being discovered at age 18. She appeared in Indonesia’s music scene as a blues, motown and soul singer, but under the wing of the late and legendary jazz maestro Jack Lesmana — she has carved out a niche, unwittingly, as a jazz vocalist.

“It was very hard for me, as all the great musicians I know were much older than me. I was 18 and nervous. They didn’t have CDs back then (in the ’70s), so I had to carry all these jazz LPs home to listen,” Segers recalls.

“I was a blues singer, so when I listened to jazz singers I thought, what are they doing? They sound like they are talking!” she said. “The musicians were very tough on me and I thought I’d never make it. But Jack told me ‘No. I’ll be watching you. You’re not going anywhere’.”

And it’s a good thing that Segers persevered. Now, three decades later, she can account for having cut several albums and becoming a household name in the region. Here, Segers gives us five minutes of her time before her No Black Tie debut last year.

No Black Tie presents a wonderful combination of pure talent with MARGIE SEGERS & MICHAEL VEERAPEN TRIO. Segers is widely acknowledged as the singer who started the jazz trend in Indonesia back in the 70s and is now more than a household name in her home country. Those with an ear for jazz have even compared her to Eva Cassidy and Dinah Washington, but truth be told, Segers’ originality not to mention her interpretation of familiar pop songs are incomparable. Coupled with Michael Veerapen’s sheer experience and undying passion for music, this is one showcase that will get your hearts racing.

No comments: