Lessons From 'Thomas Edison'
1) HK police must not be over vigilant in nabbing the culprits. Police arresting people must prove they had "done something". The police cannot kowtow to public pressure just because the victims are celebrities.
2) If you arrest anyone, please arrest the source of the photos, not the second or third source. The groups of people forwarding or resending the photos have not done anything illegal per se. Yes, they may have behaved "badly" and have "questionable judgment and lacked empathy", they are idiots but not criminals.
3) While we sympathize with the affected celebrities, I totally agree with Lisa Wang who said that "if you don't want people to see, don't take those pictures in the first place". Even when the motive at first is for private use, if you are dumb enough to take these pictures, shit happens. Using the "private use" as an excuse does not win any real sympathy from the public.
4) Most are just fearful that some of the victims may do "something silly". Shit happens, grow up, move on, its not the end of the world. I have seen many naked women in pictures and books and magazines - I don't think I remember even 99% of them now. Nudity is nudity. If you fear people may now fantasize about you now that there are nude pictures of you - grow up, most are already fantasizing about most pretty girls, whether they have seen them naked or not. Nothing has changed.
5) What they did was natural, not unnatural. What they did was between two consenting adults, do not put your own religious standards to judge them. Celebrities or not, they owe the rest of the world NOTHING.
6) They are celebrities. If you don't like what they did, don't support them anymore. If you can see beyond the superficial, and like them for their talent, you should continue to support them. Some of them may not be working anymore in the industry, but hey, thousands of workers get fired every day as well. At the end of the day, its a mind over matter thing. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. I mean the female victims should look at Hsu Chi, Loletta Lee and Vivian Hsu - we have seen them very naked, but they are doing well in the industry. Sure, they get paid to do the movies, its almost the same thing. If they can do it and live, so can you.
"Modesty is a vastly overrated virtue."
- John Kenneth Galbraith
"We are all naked in the eyes of the Lord!"
- Peter Boyle
"We are so narrow minded that we show war, murder, rape, etc. on TV, but we do not allow to show one of the most wonderfull creations (the human body) in its natural form."
- Mario Roman
"If everyone were nude, there would be no war..."
"Pornography tells lies about women. But pornography tells the truth about men."
"It is an interesting question how far people would retain their relative rank if they were divested of their clothes."
- Henry David Thoreau