Friday, August 11, 2023

Reimagining Stephen Chow

 Yes, most people love Stephen Chow's movies ... I am a superfan but I also acknowledge that he is a comedy superstar but not one with a good character (how he treated people around him, his friends, etc.). But we are not here to debate how wonderful a person he is. As an artist, I think he is beyond iconic. Wish I knew who drew this magnificent image.  All and I mean all, of the important supporting characters in all his movies.

Surprisingly, I cannot locate two actors in the painting, whom I deem as important - Zhao Wei and Cecilia Cheung Pak Chi. Deliberate move?

Maybe I am thinking too much. Maybe the artist's intention is to let Stephen know how "dependent" his success was on people who collaborated with him. One of the biggest criticisms against him was how he "literally treated friends and collaborators" as rubbish to be thrown away after a while. Whether it was his master, people who mentored him, got him into pictures, got him the financing, a girlfriend who boosted his wealth no end, or close film directors and actors ... in the end, he has less than a handful of friends and chose it to be that way. Sigh... there are more important things in life: self-actualization; finding your purpose in life, your legacy with the ones you love, reshaping your heart and attitude so that you become a blessing to others, and that the world is a better place with you in it. 











No comments: